Hey Indie Hackers 👋🏻😊
About a year ago, the initial idea of a website builder on top of Notion was introduced by Mlex, who self-funds the entire project. We entered a very competitive and saturated market, so I wanted to share some insights of how we got to our first 5k users with $0 marketing spend in about half a year when we first publicly launched.
Popsy is a free no-code website builder for Notion. We basically kept Notion's simplicity and upgraded its technical aspects such as extended customization, SEO settings, page speed, and hosting—everything you need for a functional website. There are other services, but they're all too complex and costly for average users. Popsy lets you build websites for free, extremely fast and without any coding knowledge, which is a huge win-win for our end user.
What worked for us:
1. 100% free. By offering completely free and unlimited websites (that have 'Made with Popsy' badge), we were able to secure lots of organic traffic.
2. Community launches on Reddit and Indie Hackers. These two launches gave us a starting push because a lot of users tested our product and gave amazing feedback, from which we learned what the public wants and introduced new features.
3. Growing Twitter by sharing product updates, tutorials, Notion and no-code related info, free stuff (custom icons and illustrations) and especially interacting with every user personally. We don't have a founder with huge personal following from before so everything was built from ground up.
4. Active and quality customer support. We put a lot of resources and time into figuring out what the public really wants and then we delivered, including helping our users as soon as possible and fixing their issues.
5. Cold email outreach. We've used this channel to introduce our product to people inside of Notion community, and to reach out to bloggers, creators and other businesses, etc. to collaborate and explore different options of working together.
6. SEO. It's obviously a long term game, but we've already seen some early success by optimizing our site and by being visible everywhere possible (startup directories, communities, blogs, social media, etc.). This is one of the most important channels and I'd highly recommend everyone to consider it.
Now one might ask how we make money. Just recently we introduced a new Popsy Pro plan for $8/month which unlocks extended no-code customization (colors, fonts, background, content width, navbar, buttons, galleries, etc.), adds support for analytics and custom code, and lets you remove Popsy branding.
Hope this helps someone. Would love to hear your thoughts & feedback! 🤗